Monday, April 14, 2008

Why? Oh, Why?

"For you are the God in whom I take refuge; why have you rejected me?" (Psalm 43v.2)

These words strike haunting chords in all of us, as humans. The very idea that a loving God could cause this kind of heartache baffles the majority of us and makes many a person stumble. In a world where so many, especially in the evangelical world, have associated following Christ with always being happy, as though Jesus were some kind of eternal high for our souls, this is a hard concept.

As Believers, we all walk the constant line of thinking for ourselves and our own selfish wants versus seeking God's face and what is bringing Him glory. Often times, our comfort and God's glory are quite opposite, colliding in one of those moments illustrated by crashing helmets on Monday Night Football. What we think is best runs right into that which God knows is best, leaving us to mutter, "I don't think God loves me. If He did, He would have given me..."

Here, in Psalm 43, is a sobering reminder that even those who are our spiritual heroes and sought God's face most had their trying times. David takes refuge in God, yet admits that he feels as though God has rejected him. There is yet another cross-roads in David's life: will he continue to persevere through the rough season, or will he fall into worshiping himself through trusting himself more than God.

In the season I'm in, right now, it can often seem like I'm saying "Why have you forgotten me, Lord?" And yet, through verses like this, I'm reminded that God will come through. This is a momentary season in the years of my life; years that I have committed, for a long time, now, to live in love to my Lord and my God. When things aren't working out the way we think they're supposed to, do we still worship? Who's plans are eternal - mine, or God's? The choice here is obvious... I am only living now in the temporary; I follow the Ancient of Days.

No comments: