Monday, July 21, 2008

Stupid Animal

There are many different things you can mean when you call someone an animal. For instance, when you call someone "an animal" in regards to football, you're talking about one mean guy out there on the gridiron. When you call someone a "pig" talking about their eating habits, then everyone knows that that person eats a lot and in a sloppy manner. Then you've got things like "curious as a cat," "sick as a dog," "swam like a fish." Great similes. 

The thing about animals, though, is that if they are domesticated, they know their master. Ultimately, I think, all animals know their true Master, as well. Yet, unlike our bi- and quad pedal friends, we often do not.

"The ox knows its owner and the donkey its master's crib, but Israel does not know; my people do not understand." (Isaiah 1v.3)

Sometimes I feel like the stupidest of all animals, in that I so often lose sight of what the Lord has done, is doing, and has promised to do. I think that, somehow, the things that keep me nourished and going come from myself, rather than from the Provider. Unlike most animals, I kick and buck, at times, because at those times I really don't know the Lord very well.

There are plenty of times when a talking donkey has much more intelligent things to say that me, probably because he's better at following and trusting.

No comments: