Monday, October 6, 2008

Saviour of the Nation?

On the way into the office this morning, I was behind one of the erratic Metroplex drivers that I've come to "affectionately" expect. As we fought through early-morning school traffic along the corridor known as Eldorado, I noticed a bumper sticker that said "Obama 08, Save Our Nation!" After having the gasoline-on-an-open-flame effect that my coffee (mud) does from the French Press, I was just looking for something to really think about. Why is it that we put so much faith in a man to be the saviour of our nation? We've always discussed it in the mainstream, but it seems that even more and more churches think that their job is not so much to preach the Gospel as to point out political wrongs in our nation and advise people on what choice Jesus would make if He were a registered American voter.

"But I am the Lord your God from the land of Egypt; you know no God but me and beside me there is no Saviour." (Hosea 13v.4)

I'm really tired of the bickering back and forth between our parties about who's going to be the saviour of American society. If there is no saviour apart from Christ, then why do we enjoy labeling men as such? We need to stop putting so much stock in our flawed political system and be on our knees, praying that the real Saviour would save our nation. We don't need saving from poor economies, tax spending and high fuel prices. We need saving from our sinful nature that leads to greed, unwise stewardship, and the lust for comfort. We need saving from the myriad idols we have in American culture.

1 comment:

Grace (χαρις) said...

Completely agree!!! It makes my stomach turn!