Friday, December 12, 2008

Sleep Deprived? Not Hardly

Sometimes, I wish that more blogs carried a time-stamp on them, something to let you know not only what day the article was posted, but also what time. I know there are a plethora of thinkers and writers out there who are up at all times of the day and night, sending their thoughts out into the meta whenever it strikes their fancy. I'm just curious as to when most bloggers do their critical thinking and writing.

Since you can't see what time I'm posting this, I'll tell you: 5:10am on Friday morning.

I know that I have a meeting in just over an hour with the FCA leaders of Little Elm High School. I know that I've an accountability meeting at 11:00am. I know that between those two things, I've got stuff to get done at the office. But, I've been up since 4:30am. Conscious since about 4:15am. To most, this would seem like an incredibly horrible thing but, for me, my brain is running on all cylinders and this is becoming a kind of common thing.

I've never been able to sleep like most people. Growing up, I was always a little bit jealous of my buddies who could go to bed at midnight and sleep until noon the next day. For me, I can't sleep past 9:00am, ever. Even if I've stayed up all night, I simply cannot stay asleep after that threshold. I can take naps and have the ability to kind of go into a twilight stage when I need to (I believe Jason Bourne called this "delta meditation"... something to do with the brain's delta waves), but I can't stay in bed. I really started to get worried, as I've only been sleeping in the five to six hour range (with the occasional four hour night) each night.

So, that being said: it's not a lack of exercise, bad heart rate, sleep apnea, or anything else like that. I think I'm just one of the weird ones who only sleep in the four to six range.

No comments: